Tuesday, January 18, 2011

WEELY FUEL: STUFFED CHILIS WITH ROASTED TOMATOES




Over the holiday, I was treated to a post run snack, courtesy of my dad. As far back as I can remember my dad has been cooking peppers and eggs, and I love it. The peppers caramelize and become sweeter. Scramble that up with cheesy eggs, it's a winner in my book. This last trip I received something different. That nostalgic dish was wrapped up in these little pepper blankets. I am going to be honest, it kinda blew my mind when I first laid eyes on it. This is not to say I have never seen a chile rellano, its just that the rellano is normally seen fried. Which is a quick cooking method not giving the egg time to leak.  After I relayed my disbelief that those peppers couldn't have been cooking back there on the stove for 10 minutes at least, and no egg was spilled. I was reassured that that was indeed the case and then it was explained to me. I was swiftly overcome with the feeling, "Why didn't i think of that". Then the thought, how can I make this healthier, so I can eat it all the time. That brings us to present day and I have successfully overcome all of the above. The tomatoes in the picture and recipe below was made out of necessity of a more attractive plate. They did more than that it completes the dish, now all we need is a piece of toast with apple butter and a hot cup of coffee. I will see you at the breakfast table, enjoy!

Stuffed Anaheim chile
Serves 3

Ingredients:
6 medium size Anaheim peppers
7 egg whites
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
3 slices 100% whole wheat bread
salt  & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
Slice a 1/4 inch off the stem side of the pepper, remove the seeds with a paring knife(careful not to break the pepper). In a bowl crack and separate 7 eggs, discard the yolks. Whisk whites and salt and pepper with the cheese, set aside. Remove the crust from the bread and cut into half. To assemble, fill a pepper 3/4 full and smoosh the bread to create a plug gently lay on a plate and repeat until all the peppers are full. Heat a heavy pan to med-hi, add oil to the pan and let heat up. Once the oil shimmers add the peppers and cook about 7-8 minutes turning frequently to brown and blister the skin. Once browned place in a 350 degree oven for 10 min until the peppers plump up and the eggs are cooked. Serve whole or cut on a bias to display the egg. Accompany the peppers with roasted tomato.

Nutrition Facts
CRB
stuffed anaheim

Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving Calories216
Total Fat7.9g       Saturated Fat2.5g       Trans Fat0g Cholesterol13mg Sodium826mg Carbohydrate19.2g       Dietary Fiber2g       Sugars5.3g Protein19.7g

Vitamin A 123%Vitamin C 255%
Calcium    40%Iron 4%





Roasted Tomato
Serves 4

Ingredients:
3 med sized vine ripened tomatos
1 tbsp olive oil
6 sprigs oregano
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Slice the tomatoes into 1 inch thick slices, coat a heavy pan with half the olive oil, lay out the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, strop the leaves from the sprig over the tomatoes, and then drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven for about 15 -20 minutes. Serve immediately or chill for a salad.



Nutrition Facts
CRB
Roasted tomatos

Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving Calories47
Total Fat2.7g       Saturated Fat0.4g       Trans Fat0g Cholesterol0mg Sodium4mg Carbohydrate5.4g       Dietary Fiber0.9g       Sugars3g Protein0.8g

Vitamin A 15%Vitamin C 30%
Calcium    2%Iron 2%

1 comment: